Chapter 9: Get creative
Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can.
What is creativity? It is the use of imagination or original ideas to create something; inventiveness. Creativity is a phenomenon whereby something new and somehow valuable is formed, such as an idea, theory, invention, a literary work, or a painting. The word itself means ‘to create’. Here’s how you can start to develop your creative mind. Allow yourself to relax and think outside the box. Stimulate creativity by setting aside time to brainstorm, breaking up your routine, and seeking inspiration from people and places around you. Travel, meditation, and positive thinking can do wonders.
One of the best ways to open up your creativity is by mediation. By practicing mindful meditation, you can help relax, improve your awareness, and inspire self-reflection. With time and practice, meditation will help you open up your creative juices and make you become clear about what creative endeavours you should pursue.
Another way to strengthen and develop creativity within yourself is to change your daily routine to expand your thought process. Routine can be the enemy of creativity because it removes the need for quick thinking and new ideas. New stimuli will keep you on your toes and open up your mind creatively. Try to shake up your everyday life with a few small changes.
Other great ways to expand your creativity include the following:
- Positive thinking
- Going for walks outdoors to encourage creative thought
- Hanging out in different spots to expose yourself to new stimuli
- Trying new hobbies to expand your life experiences and gain new talents
- Getting up earlier in the morning to make the most of your time
- Surrounding yourself with other creative people to get inspired
- Reading as much as possible to discover new ideas and themes
- Travelling whenever you can to gain new experiences
- Listening to TED talks or other inspiring lectures
What can you create?
What do you love creating? What talents are you gifted with? Putting together your passions and talents, what is it that you and you alone can create to contribute positively to the world? Is it a book, a song, a business, a great family, a piece of art, a product, an experience, an environment, a life? What do you want to create? Make a short list of things you want to create in your life.
- Stimulate creativity by setting aside time to brainstorm and meditate.
- Being alone is the secret to creativity and great ideas.
- You can create something to contribute positively to the world.
- Creativity is finding answers to present challenges.
- Humans are at the top of the food chain because we can create.