ONE- Passion is everything
- Three rules I live by: Love your family, work superhard and live your passion.
- Live your passion. What does it mean anyway? It means that when you get up for work every morning, every single morning, you are pumped because you get to talk about or work with or do the thing that interests you the most in the world.
- Everyone knows the Internet represents one of the biggest cultural shifts since the printing press, but I think society has been slow to recognize that it represents the biggest shift in history in how we do business.
- Money goes where people go – where there is an audience, advertisers are eager to follow.
- You can do better so long as you’re willing to live and breathe your passion. Do that, and you’ll no longer differentiate between your work life and your personal life. You’ll just live, and love doing it.
- Everyone – EVERYONE – needs to start thinking of themselves as a brand. It is no longer an option; it is a necessity.
- Skills are cheap, passion is priceless.
- Passion is contagious. If you channel it into creating amazing content and distribute that content using social media.
- Here’s the deal: if you want it badly enough the money is there, the success is there, and the fulfilment is there. All you have to do is take it. So quit whining, quit crying, quit with the excuses. If you already have a full-time job, you can get a lot done between 7pm and 2am.
TWO – Success is in your DNA
- Lots of ambitious people have been born with great DNA and yet eventually found themselves at a professional standstill, frustrated, miserable, stuck. Why? Because they weren’t doing what they loved more than anything else in the world; they weren’t doing what they were born to do.
- Too many people ignore their DNA, however, to conform to what their families or society expects of them. A lot of people also decide that professional success has to look a certain way.
- One of my first lessons in business – scarcity breeds desire.
- I knew from my experience with the baseball card business that people want to be told what’s good and valuable, and that they enjoy feeling like they’ve been turned on to something not everyone can appreciate.
- Storytelling is by far the most underrated skill in business.
THREE – Build Your Personal Brand
- Developing your personal brand is key to monetizing your passion online.
- The thing that most people don’t realize is that in today’s world your business and your personal brand need to be one and the same.
- Where the eyeballs go, opportunity follows.
- Authenticity is key.
- To everyone who is freaking out because they fear the noise and distraction of all the additional content on the internet, you can relax. Quality is a tremendous filter. Cream always rises, no matter how many cups of coffee you pour.
- Opportunity lies in transparency.
- Consumers want you to tell them the truth. Sure, they want quality and service and value and entertainment, but above all they want to know that the person they’re dealing with is being honest.
- Honesty has got to be at your core.
- Your brand will be unique and interesting because you are unique and interesting.
- It‘s mind-blowing, and every day more and more tools are being created to carry your personal brand further.
- It’s a fact that hiring decisions are made every day because of personal connections.
FOUR – A Whole New World
- Money follows eyeballs.
- Capitalism always wins.
- Quantity is up, price is down, which means the cost structure has to shrink dramatically.
- The changes that will be brought by the Internet are as fundamentally transformative to content and commerce as the printing press. It’s a whole new world; build your personal brand and get ready for it.
- Plan your future now. If you don’t plan ahead and decide where you want to go, you’re in big trouble. My feeling is that no matter how much you like your job, you should aim to leave it and grow your own brand and business or partner with someone to do so, because as long as you’re working for someone else you will never be living entirely true to yourself and your passion.
FIVE – Create Great Content
- To monetize your personal brand into a business using social marketing networks, two pillars need to be in place: product and content.
- Communicate with me, because whoever is the best communicator will win.
- You can monetize any passion, but the level at which you can monetize will be affected by the size of your niche and whether you are able to differentiate yourself enough from the other players in it. There are a lot of pockets out there today, however, that can sustain a nice forty-seventy-five-thousand-dollar-a-year business.
- Today, everybody else can make $40,000 to a million, so long as they can nail the correct combination of their medium and passion.
- The lure and the lasso. You’re going to work your content in two ways. The first is as a lure, creating it, posting it, and allowing people to come to you as they discover it. The second is to use it as a lasso through comments on other people’s content that relates to yours, inserting yourself into existing conversations and actively creating reasons for your audience to come to you.
SIX – Choose Your Platform
- The most important thing to remember is to be authentic, to be yourself. That authenticity is what will give you your greatest chance of success.
- I want to share with you the best business tweet of all time: “What can I do for you?” You’ll be amazed at the response you get. You’re in business to serve your community. Don’t ever forget it.
SEVEN – Keep it Real…Very Real
- No matter how big or small you want to go, your authenticity will be at the root of your appeal and is what will keep people coming to your site and spreading the word about yourself personal brand, service, or whatever you are offering.
- If you want to dominate the social media game, all of your effort has to come from the heart; and it can’t come from the heart in the passionate, irrational, wholehearted way it needs to if you’re trying to be anyone but yourself. Authenticity is what will make it possible for you to put in the kind of hustle necessary to crush it.
- I’ve said over and over that if you live your passion and work the social networking tools to the max, opportunities to monetize will present themselves.
- No one makes a million dollars with minimal effort unless they win the lottery.
- Patience is the secret sauce.
- You come last. Before you invest in yourself, you have to invest in your long-term future. That means your profits should funnel right back into your research, you content, and your staff should you have any. The sooner you start cashing in, the shorter window you have in which to cement your success. So hold off as long as you can.
EIGHT – Create Community: Digging Your Internet Trench
- At a certain point, your business will start gaining eyeballs and your community focus will change. Whereas at this point you’re initiating contact with anyone who might have an interest in your passion, later you will spend these late-night hours responding to the people who have responded to you. Building and sustaining community is a never-ending part of doing business.
- Start paying attention to other people’s content.
- Monetize the heck out of every interaction.
- Your long-term goal is get sticky and create more and more opportunities to communicate.
NINE – The best marketing strategy ever, CARE
TEN – Make the World Listen
ELEVEN – Start Monetizing
- Remember, where people – consumers – go, money follows, and the people spending more and more time in the blogosphere. If there’s an active, energetic, passionate community spending time on your blog, there is no reason on Earth why advertisers wouldn’t want to spend a portion of all that ad revenue there, too.
- Anything is better than zero.
TWELVE – Roll with It
THIRTEEN – Legacy is greater than currency
- Legacy is the mortar of successful, lasting brands.
CONCLUSION – The time is now, the message is forever
- The greatest paradox surrounding the Internet is that as much as it allows us to isolate and limit ourselves only to what we believe is immediately relevant to our specific needs, so does it allow us to connect at unprecedented levels and extend ourselves beyond our farthest horizons.
To buy the book, click the link in the image below to purchase from Amazon