Chapter 4: Make it your purpose
The secret of success is consistency to purpose.
In the previous chapter, we discussed your desires and what you want out of life. In this chapter, we delve into purpose and discover the unique purpose you have for your life.
We define purpose as either the reason for which something is done or created or a person’s sense of resolve or determination. Purpose is the reason why we do what we do. The why in what we do is your purpose and why you do it in the first place. While goals are chosen, a purpose is discovered. Our purpose is something we have been doing all along and will continue to do, regardless of circumstances, until the day we die.
Every action we take in life has a purpose behind it, consciously or unconsciously, whether you think about it or not. We eat because we are hungry, we sleep because we are tired, we go to work for money, and on and on it goes. I want you for a moment to pause, reflect, and think about the purpose of your life. What were you born to do? What is your mission in life? What can you do that would have a positive impact on society? What is that thing that brings meaning to your life? What is it?
Make your life a mission – Not an intermission
To step out of the ordinary and become extraordinary, you have to have a purposeful mission in life. People fail in life because of a lack of a purposeful mission. Without having an all-encompassing purpose, people lack direction, drive, and meaning to take action. In a sense, they don’t think bigger than themselves and in turn get little from life.
Take the time now to come up with a personal mission statement. One paragraph or a sentence that outlines your mission in life. This mission statement will give you the clarity and motivation to propel you into purposeful daily actions to achieve your dreams.
Steven R. Covey said it best: ‘The most effective way I know to begin with the end in mind is to develop a personal mission statement or philosophy or creed. It focuses on what you want to be (character) and to do (contributions and achievements) and on the values or principles upon which being and doing are based. Because each individual is unique, a personal mission statement will reflect that uniqueness, both in content and form.’
We all have a purpose in life, a unique gift or special talent to give to others. Find out what it is and give it away; this should be your mission in life. Viktor Frankl said, ‘Everyone has his own specific vocation or mission in life. Therein he cannot be replaced, nor can his life be repeated. Thus, everyone’s task is as unique as is his specific opportunity to implement it.’
The things that excite you are not random. They are connected to your purpose. Realize your mission in life, and follow it through.
Definiteness of purpose
Napoleon Hill’s famous book Think and Grow Rich talks a lot about the principle of the definiteness of purpose. He wrote the following:
- Ninety-eight out of every 100 people fail all through life because they do not follow the principle of working with definiteness of purpose.
- A definite purpose serves as a roadmap which charts the direct route to the end of one’s journey.
- Definiteness of purpose fixes one’s habits so that they are taken over by the subconscious mind and used as a motivating force (involuntarily) in driving towards one’s goal.
- Lack of a well-defined purpose in life. There is no hope of success for the person who does not have a central purpose or definite goal at which to aim.
How awesome and powerful this one simple concept is. Having a fixed mindset on a purpose hardwires you to achieve that very purpose. The principle is easy to understand and apply; anyone can, but not everyone will. Be obsessed about your mission and purpose in life, think about it constantly, and take daily action towards its achievement. Simple and powerful.
- While goals are chosen, a purpose is discovered.
- Make your life a mission – not an intermission.
- We all have a purpose in life – a unique gift or special talent – to give to others.
- The things that excite you are not random. They are connected to your purpose.
- Having a mindset fixed on a purpose hardwires you to achieve that very purpose.