★★★ Sign up to the Weekly Book Summary Newsletter by CLICKING HERE
★★★ Get any FREE audiobook of your choice by CLICKING HERE
His book, Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff… and it’s all Small Stuff (1997), was USA Today’s bestselling book for two consecutive years and spent over 101 weeks on the New York Times Best Seller list. It was published in 135 countries and translated into 31 languages. Carlson went on to write 20 books.
- Peacefulness = accepting imperfections.
- Gratefulness & perspective
- Life isn’t an emergency (concentrate on my values).
- My in-basket will never be empty. Nor it will be empty when I die…
- Purpose of life: NOT getting all thing done, but ENJOYING each stepalong the way and live a life filled with love.
- Don’t interrupt others. Be a listener. Communicate.
- Become extremely patient: nothing can bother me.
- Ask myself: “will this make a difference a year from now?” (perspective)
- Life ISN’T fair: ACCEPT IT –> do MY BEST with what I have and try to improve.
- Allow myself to be bored (few mins/day), to do nothing –> I’ll relax.
- Write a heartfelt letter to someone once a week: express love and gratitude.
- Choose my battles WISELY + accept imperfections.
- Don’t have everything perfect, don’t fight/argue on small stuff.
- “This too shall pass”: everything changes, it’s just a matter of when! –> be grateful for what you have BEFORE it’ll go away: maintain my perspective!
- Be kind more than insisting on being right.
- In doubt, it’s my turn to take out the garbage. I won’t be taken advantage of.
- Say something nice to someone (praise) at least once a day.
- Find the BEAUTY in EVERY situation.
- Don’t criticize and if I do, do it with style…
- Be grateful when I feel good. And when I feel bad: accept it because those bad feelings too shall pass!
- Concentrate on what we have, not only on what we want: think positive, be grateful.
- You’ll become what you practice –> BECOME AWARE and pay attention to what you practice!
- It’s ok not to be perfect: you make mistakes and it’s ok. You’ll do better next time. Have no regrets: stay calm!
- Have “my time” with no one to bother me, every day.
- In a 100 yrs, all new people…
- Nurture a plan: love unconditionally.
- Do small things, without wanting anything in return.
- Don’t always try to solve others’ problems.
- Give love more than wanting to receive it.
- Ask yourself “What’s REALLY important?”
- Mind my own business (don’t judge).
- Look for the EXTRAORDINARY in the ordinary. We see what we want to see in reality. Be GRATEFUL!
- Live this day as if it was my last, it might be. My to-do list will never be empty.
- Life is PRECIOUS. LIFE IS TOO IMPORTANT TOO TAKE TOO SERIOUSLY.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff… And it’s all small stuff!
Shout out to Alvaro for Alvaro’s Blog for doing this written summary
To buy the book, click the link in the image below to purchase from Amazon