★★★ Sign up to the Weekly Book Summary Newsletter by CLICKING HERE
★★★ Get any FREE audiobook of your choice by CLICKING HERE
★★★ View the Hottest Products of the month by CLICKING HERE
Habits are anything we do repeatedly, consciously or unconsciously. What makes us all unique is the habits we develop over time. You run the day mostly by your unconscious habits, from getting up at the same time, to thinking the same thoughts, showering the same way, to eating the same foods, to going to the same job, doing the same menial tasks day in and day out, to watching the same shows, to having the same conversations, to holidaying at the same place. We are all creatures of habits and overtime hardwire ourselves to follow the same repeated patterns of behavior just like a stylus on a record player goes around the grooves on a vinyl record.
Take a moment to stop, think and write down just how many things you do throughout a typical day that is habitual. From the time you wake up? To the foods you eat? To what you do, to how you talk, what you think about? Write down and notice how over time you have hardwired yourself to do what is comfortable and easy. The best way to develop self-awareness of yourself is to use a journal everyday and write out your day. Do this for as little as a few weeks and you will clearly see your life massively dictated by your daily habits. Self-awareness is the next best thing to self-coaching. Understand yourself first before you try to change your habits. Know which habits are not serving you and replace them with habits that will automate your life to success. We first build good habits and then let the good habits build us.
WINNING HABITS TO CULTIVATE
From studying the most successful people on the planet, I have found that most of them have cultivated very similar winning habits that helped take them to the top of their chosen fields. Developing any new habit takes some adjustment at the start if its something you don’t do often, but with persistence and repetition you can make any new habit easy and enjoyable over time.
The five top most common habits successful people share.
- Working out. Successful people understand the importance of keeping their body in top shape. From eating good and exercising the body, the more you look after your body, the body will look after you. Keeping your body fit and healthy is a number 1 requirement of successful people, to give them the energy needed for their high-performance life. Start to cultivate the habit of looking after yourself through eating the healthy foods and working out, so your body can give you the energy you need to fulfill your dreams. Health is wealth.
- The second winning habit that successful people have in common is an unbelievable obsession in improving their intelligence. Getting smarter and sharpening their mind through books, video, audio, experiences and networking with other intelligent people is what successful people do. Leaders are readers and your network is your networth. Cultivate the same obsession in improving your intelligence through other people’s writings and experiences. It’s never been easier to get smarter with books, audio, video at the tip of your fingers, you have no excuse.
- The third common winning habits the most successful people have in common is having clear written goals with deadlines. Studies show time and again this simple small habit of setting personal, clear, written goals puts you in the top 5% of people on the planet. Unbelievably 95% of people don’t have personal, clear, written goals for their life. They are going through life with their fingers crossed. Join the 5% crowd and cultivate the habit of setting goals for your days, weeks, months, years, decades and life. You have this one life, go out their and do something special with it. Become the best version of yourself.
- The fourth successful habit winners have in common is working on the most important task at hand every day. Focusing on the 20 percent of activities that will give you 80 percent of the results is what successful people concentrate on. Not the other way around like most people do. Eating that big frog everyday, not the tadpoles. Doing the difficult, not the easy. This is what makes the difference between people who hit and achieve goals vs people who cross their fingers and wish their way through life. Identity what will move the needle forward everyday and get it done.
- The fifth successful habit winners have in common is the ability to persist in the face of adversity and defeat. You don’t know the names of the countless number of people who gave up the fight to see their dreams become a reality. Look at any successful well know person and see the common trait of persistence in the face of adversity and defeat. Adversity and defeat might knock them down but not knock them out. Might push them off course but never out of the race. Develop the ability to persist in spite of circumstances and never give up on your dreams. Reset everyday, work hard and push forward.
If you begin to follow the habits above from working out, eating right, educating yourself daily, writing out your goals, working on the important tasks and persisting until, you are well on your way to seeing your dreams become a reality.
QUOTES OF HABITS
- 95 per cent of our behavior, feeling, and response is habitual. (Maxwell Maltz)
- A bad habit is nothing more than a mistake repeated. (Unknown)
- A habit is something you can do without thinking, which is why most of us have so many of them. (Frank Howard Clark)
- A nail is driven out by another nail; habit is overcome by habit. (Desiderius Erasmus)
- A paradigm is a mental program that has almost exclusive control over our habitual behaviour and almost all of our behaviour is habitual. (Bob Proctor)
- All habits are learned, and they can therefore be unlearned. (Brian Tracy)
- Bad habits are easy to form, but hard to live with; good habits are hard to form, but easy to live with. Your job is to form good habits and make them your masters. (Brian Tracy)
- Basic unit of change is the habit, because what we do or think about all the time makes us who we are and becomes the lens through which we see things. (Stephen R. Covey)
- Both success and failure are largely the results of habit. (Napoleon Hill)
- Build as many positive habits into your life as possible. (Zig Ziglar)
- Chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken. (Samuel Johnson)
- Curious things, habits. People themselves never knew they had them. (Agatha Christie)
- Every action is self-perpetuating, every thought is self-perpetuating. Once you cooperate with it, you are giving energy to it. Sooner or later it will become habitual. You will do it and you will not be the doer; you will do it just because of the force of habit. (Osho)
- Every day you get a chance to make new habits and change old ones. (Unknown)
- Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. (Aristotle)
- For it is another of nature’s laws that only a habit can subdue another habit. (Og Mandino)
- Habit patterns and ways of thinking become deeply established, and it seems easier and more comforting to follow them than to cope with change, even when change may represent freedom and achievement. (Earl Nightingale)
- Habits are like a cable. We weave a strand of it everyday and soon it cannot be broken. (Horace Mann)
- Habits are one of the critical components in the life of every person alive today. The problem is that habits can be good or bad, constructive or destructive, positive or negative, encouraging or discouraging. (Zig Ziglar)
- Healthy habits are learned in the same way as unhealthy ones through practice. (Wayne Dyer)
- In changing bad habits, you don’t ‘pay the price’ you enjoy the benefits. (Zig Ziglar)
- It takes an adult between fourteen and twenty-one days to develop a new habit of thought, a new ‘neural groove’ in the brain. (Brian Tracy)
- Men’s natures are alike; it is their habits that carry them far apart. (Confucius)
- Motivation gets you going, but habit gets you there. (Zig Ziglar)
- Our character, basically, is a composite of our habits. “Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny,” the maxim goes. Habits are powerful factors in our lives. Because they are consistent, often unconscious patterns, they constantly, daily, express our character and produce our effectiveness or ineffectiveness. (Stephen R. Covey)
- Ritual is obsession in motion. (Unknown)
- Successful people are simply those with successful habits. (Brian Tracy)
- The beauty and curse of habits is that once they are formed, they are hard to break. Consciously pursing great habits consistently will click you into autopilot on the path to greatness. (Lewis Howes)
- The best ways to form the right habits is to do something you know you should be doing, every day. The more you do it, the easier it becomes the more competent and confident you become and the work becomes steadily better. Also, the more you do, the more ideas you get for future work. (Earl Nightingale)
- The successful person has the habit of doing the things failures don’t like to do. (E.M. Grey)
- There is no influence like the influence of habit. (Gilbert Parker)
- There is no point of compromise between a man and his habits. Either he controls his habits or his habits control him. The successful man, understanding this truth, forces himself to build the sort of habits by which he is willing to be controlled. (Napoleon Hill)
- We are slaves on the treadmill of our habits. (Jack Collis)
- We first make our habits, and then our habits make us. (Charles Noble)
- Whatever your present situation, I assure you that you are not your habits. You can replace old patterns of self-defeating behaviour with new patterns, new habits of effectiveness, happiness, and trust-based relationships. (Stephen R. Covey)
- When the action is repeated regularly over a period of time, it will lead to a behavioural change. Behavioural change leads to habit formation. (Zig Ziglar)
- When your intention beats habit, you win the game of life. (Kyle Cease)
- You live through the habit that means that the habit lives basically through you. The habit itself persists, it has an energy of its own. (Osho)
- You will never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine. (John Maxwell)
That’s a wrap on
50 Words to Your Dreams
Chapter 25: Habit
Let me know your thoughts on Chapter 25
If you need some help in achieving your goals Email
Me and I will assist you for free to help you achieve
For 100’s of Video, Written & Audio Book Summaries check out our website
Stay tuned for Chapter 26 in the series “CHANGE”